An international language?

• Iniciador do tópico DeletedUser14254
  • Data de início
Estado
Não está aberto para novas respostas.

DeletedUser14254

Hi,

I'm starting this thread so that we can discuss about the importance of the English language in the world.
As you know, English has become the most important language for one that needs to travel around the world. However, at school, a few years ago, French was the most learnt language. In fact, most of the people with thirty or more years learnt French firstly at school. But why? Why was French more important than English? Was it more important? Well, I can't tell you that. But, as far as I know, there weren't many people able to speak English. Perhaps because French is so similar to Portuguese, they preferred to learn French. Actually, people said that French was easier than English and that's why they have learnt it. Even the people who haven't studied know some French words. I usually hear they saying "merci" or "s'il vous plaît". But, if French was so important, why has English become the most important language for the society?
Well, first of all, it is not the most spoken language in the world. The Chinese Mandarin is. But the Chinese Mandarin is the most spoken language as there are many Chinese people. In fact, I'm quite sure that almost everyone who speaks the Chinese Mandarin was born at China, or is a descendent from a Chinese. So, it means that language couldn't be considered the most important one as almost everyone with its knowledge has it only because it's his mother language.
Ok, let's continue on.
At the moment, English has totally surpassed the French and is the most important and most learnt language. It is also the language with, probably, more non-native speakers. Thus, one that knows English, no matter where he goes, will always find a way to communicate, as there will probably be many non-native speakers at the country he visits, too.
If there was an "International Language", it would have to be the English one. There are many reasons:
* its grammar is relatively simple for those who haven't learnt it yet;
* many people already have a good knowledge;
* it's already spoken in a large number of countries with good professional opportunities;
* the fact that many people already know it, would help in the process of teaching the language to those who don't know it, yet.

Actually, I'd would go further and say that English is ALREADY the international language.
Ok, now I remembered something and I can't let it go. I'd have to write it. As you can see, when a Portuguese goes to England, he HAS to speak English. If he goes, and he doesn't know how to speak it, then he'll have seriously difficulties. But, if an English comes to Portugal, then they do not need to speak our mother language! They just come here and speak English. If one does not understand them, then they do a very surprised face, as if they were thinking: "- He doesn't speak English? What the hell?! Everyone MUST speak English!". But, if one does, they speak and then, they leave and most of the times the don't even thank.
But well... it does not only happen with the English people. If a Portuguese goes to Spain, France, Italy or even German, he has to speak their language. If they come here, they don't even care. Also, if a Portuguese goes to a press conference in another country, he'll speak their language. But, if one from there comes here, they don't speak ours. Well, some time ago I thought it was racism, or something. But now I clearly see that it is just how it works. The people who speak a more important language than ours, may speak as he wants to. But, if we go to a country with a more important language, then we shall speak it. Otherwise, we won't be understood.

Well, back to the subject: English has totally became the most important language, mostly thanks to the U.S.A. As one used to say: the president of the US is the president of the world. Thus, as at the US they speak English, it became a really important language.
Also, many things are made in the U.S: games,films, songs... very popular games are written in English. Almost every film is made at the US. Almost every song (even some of OUR songs) are sung in English. So, people needed to learn English so that could play their favourite games, so that they could make Portuguese subtitles for the film and so that they could know the meaning of their favourite songs. That said, I think that the English has became that important as the technology has became a part of our quotidian.

Unfortunately for the French people, their language is being surpassed again. Even if it's the second most learnt language nowadays at schools, Spanish is beginning to gain more, and more importance and there are school that it is actually, the second foreign language. Many have no Spanish teachers yet. But this is something that is changing. I can say that, in the next ten or twenty years, Spanish will really become the second language to learn. That said, French will be the third and occupy the place of the German language at the moment. German will almost be forgotten, with only a few students learning it.

Well... I'd like to hear your opinion about it. Do you think that English is really the most important language? Or it is just an illusion?

Última edição por um moderador:

DeletedUser

yes i think that english is realy the most important language because if everybody know english is easier to understend each other
i did a test in school about this subject and english have a lot of strands (businesses,programming etc.)

DeletedUser14254

yes i think that english is realy the most important language because if everybody know english is easier to understend each other
i did a test in school about this subject and english have a lot of strands (businesses,programming etc.)

Also, English is that important thanks to the US. If the US spoke Portuguese, then Portuguese would be the most important language, for sure.

DeletedUser

May i can speak her my own language for the not-dutch peoples:p

DeletedUser14254

May i can speak her my own language for the not-dutch peoples:p

As you may read,
This area of the forum is English only. Here, and only here is allowed to speak a foreign language. Here you can find certain rules that we expect international players to guide themselves.

Here you can speak English, however any other language is forbidden (so Dutch isn't allowed).

DeletedUser28359

At a few years ago French was the most important and used language in Portugal because of our imigrants. The exodus of imigrants to other countris was made to France or to other counstries who spoke/speak that language.

Now, it's diferent, it's not so comon for our people to imigrate.

And luckely, Inglish is mutch more easy to learn.

DeletedUser

Also, English is that important thanks to the US. If the US spoke Portuguese, then Portuguese would be the most important language, for sure.

Indeed.
I think that it would be great if the entire world could speak English.

DeletedUser

Well... I'd like to hear your opinion about it. Do you think that English is really the most important language? Or it is just an illusion?
Illusion? I do not think... The way I see it, at least 60% of the whole world speaks English, so...
Absolutely! ^^
We would not need to care about learning French nor other languages. :p
If I may,

Can you be a little more specific please?

But then there would need to learn English, correct? Unless the whole world was born with English on the tongue. So, to learn English or just English born? As I said, be specific.

DeletedUser14254

I didn't think about it, really. I suppose, at the moment, I was talking on English being the mother tongue for the whole world, but let's face the facts: it was three months ago, I don't even remember what I did yesterday. :x

DeletedUser

I didn't think about it, really. I suppose, at the moment, I was talking on English being the mother tongue for the whole world, but let's face the facts: it was three months ago, I don't even remember what I did yesterday. :x
How can it even be possible? :eek: A Topic by and worked by you and in the end... I'm very disapointed Rafita King...

DeletedUser

But , i Speec english , not very much , but i speec xD

Estado
Não está aberto para novas respostas.